Canadian Pet Mouse Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Pet Mouse Forum

A great place to learn more and chat about your beloved pet mice! All mouse owners and enthusiasts are welcome!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

vibram shoes that simulate running barefoot growing in popularity

Go down 
AuthorMessage
anny3
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse

Female
Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2010-05-06

vibram shoes that simulate running barefoot growing in popularity Empty
PostSubject: vibram shoes that simulate running barefoot growing in popularity   vibram shoes that simulate running barefoot growing in popularity EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 6:48 pm

As Kelly Blotter passes by on the trail through Landreth Park, one of the most noticeable differences is the sound that’s made. Or the lack of it, actually vibram five fingers.

The vibram shoes that grip his feet like a thin pair of gloves don’t make the heavy clomp that often accompanies a runner wearing a more traditional pair of vibram five fingers.

That’s mainly because there are only a few scant millimeters of five fingers between the soles of his feet and the pavement underneath them.

“They’ve made a major change in my running altogether,” Blotter said of the two pairs of vibram shoes he owns. “My gait is different, my stride is different and the muscles involved are different.

“The most important thing for me is the heel strike.five fingers With conventional running shoes I had a terribly massive heel strike. Now my heel strike has all but gone away with five finger shoes.”

Blotter said that the vibram shoes allow a runner’s feet to adapt more naturally to the shape of the terrain. They also help the body adapt to running on the ball of the foot rather than requiring a heavy heel strike,vibram five fingers.

Erik Bartlett, owner of the Run Around -- a new store at 528 S. Main Street that specializes in five finger shoes and gear -- said that he’s seen a growing interest in the “vibram shoes” running trend in recent years, though it’s not a new concept.

“People have been running barefoot forever,” he said.

He said the Run Around will begin carrying vibram five fingers in February 2011 -- a long wait that’s due to the increased demand for the vibram shoes.

According to Vibram’s website, one of the main goals of the five finger shoes is to “encourage forefoot striking, meaning your forefoot will contact the ground first, then engage muscles in your feet and lower legs as your heel touches down. This style of vibram five fingers is safer, may lead to fewer injuries, and is biomechanically more sound from an energy and force distribution standpoint.”

From working with runners and area coaches, Ward said that the cushioning and high-tech assembly of modern vibram shoes have possibly caused feet to become less trained and less durable than they used to be. Doing some barefoot jogging or post-run striding with five fingers can help strengthen the foot and improve how we run, he said.

In that sense, he said that the vibram shoes or similar products appear to have the theory working for them.

Bartlett said that the vibram shoes -- or similar models by Nike or Saucony -- may help strengthen a runner’s feet and ankles, and cause less stress on the knees. But in his opinion, they may not be for everyone--vibram five fingers.

Blotter, who averages about 28 miles per week, said that the five finger shoes may eventually help him make the transition to running completely barefoot.

Still, he’s not quite ready to head out on a run with nothing over his feet.

“I’ve run completely barefoot on treadmills, but I haven’t ventured out into man-made hazards without five fingers,” he said. “I’m flirting with the idea, but I just haven’t done it yet.”

posted by:vibram five fingers,five finger shoes,five fingers,vibram shoes

vibram shoes

Back to top Go down
http://www.dealam.com

vibram shoes that simulate running barefoot growing in popularity
Page 1 of 1