Canadian Pet Mouse Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Pet Mouse Forum

A great place to learn more and chat about your beloved pet mice! All mouse owners and enthusiasts are welcome!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

TaylorMade R9 Max Irons V.S. TaylorMade R9 Irons

Go down 
AuthorMessage
yyao
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2012-03-21

TaylorMade R9 Max Irons V.S. TaylorMade R9 Irons Empty
PostSubject: TaylorMade R9 Max Irons V.S. TaylorMade R9 Irons   TaylorMade R9 Max Irons V.S. TaylorMade R9 Irons EmptyWed May 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Back in the summer, the TaylorMade R9 Irons were released first in Japan along with the R9 Driver and Japan only R9 Max driver. What many people did not realize which I made mention of several times in the blog here, is that the Japan model R9 besides being aesthetically different from the US R9 Model was in fact a slightly different iron. The R9 Japan model had more classic lofts like a 27.5* 5 iron and quite a bit less offset than the US model. Yes the Japanese R9 Model is in fact much more like the R9 TP in the US.

Taylormade Japan promotes the TaylorMade R9 TP Irons as a workable neutral iron with mid trajectory and is paired with lightweight steel in 950GH and heavier S200 shafts (also available with Motore 65 graphite). The R9 Max is promoted as a high launch straight to draw shaped trajectory aided by very lightweight shafts. Made by Fujikura, the stock Motore 55 Regular flex shaft in my R9 Max were only 51 grams and low kicking and gave an obviously high trajectory.

The R9 iron I had was shafted with the 950GH Regular flex. I believe that most slower swingers like myself can benefit from graphite shafts. Technology has changed and in many cases graphite is as good or better than steel, depending on the player. A 950GH is about the limit for me when it comes to weight and as a mid capper, the R9 went straight or fade with this combo and mis hits were more harsh than the TaylorMade R9 Supertri Driver. I honestly felt the R9 was a harder feeling iron and this is probably the case as faster and harder hitters would get more feel out of the iron. Tapping the face of each iron with a tee, there was a noticable difference in sound that may also be attributed to the different designs (and of course feel is subjective). For me, a 90mph swinger, the R9 felt and sounded harder.

I could hit a high soft draw with the R9 Max as advertised but I still need to hone my game to properly play the R9.

Ping G15 fairway wood
Titleist AP2 710 Irons
TaylorMade R11 TP Fairway Wood

Back to top Go down

TaylorMade R9 Max Irons V.S. TaylorMade R9 Irons
Page 1 of 1