Canadian Pet Mouse Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Pet Mouse Forum

A great place to learn more and chat about your beloved pet mice! All mouse owners and enthusiasts are welcome!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Is Emily a male or female ??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Miss Nikki
Administrator
Administrator
Miss Nikki

Female
Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Is Emily a male or female ?? Empty
PostSubject: Is Emily a male or female ??   Is Emily a male or female ?? EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 8:51 am

So ever since we got Emily, my man and I have been debating over whether or not she is really a he.
(The girl at the shop said they were both females)

We discuss this because our other female mouse Gerty got pregnant right after we got her, and we think that Emily may have been the father, although there IS the possibility that Gerty was pregnant BEFORE we got her.

So I took some pics of Emily today and I'd like your thoughts ...
Is Emily a HE or a SHE ???

Please help ...

PS. We will be taking her to a vet to have this confirmed. If Emily is a male, he/she will be neutered so that he can be back with Gert after she is done rearing her babies.

Is Emily a male or female ?? March08010
Is Emily a male or female ?? March08011
Is Emily a male or female ?? March08009

Is Emily a male or female ?? March08016
Is Emily a male or female ?? March08015
Is Emily a male or female ?? March08014
Back to top Go down
Pharfly
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
Pharfly

Female
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Is Emily a male or female ??   Is Emily a male or female ?? EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 12:31 pm

It is hard to tell from the pics, my guess is female. The spacing looks very close. How long have you had them? Gestation is 19-21 days. Are they both living in the bar cage? I have heard of male wild house mice mating with female domesticated(our fancys are bred from house mice) throught the bars. You will know when the fur comes in. If they was hybird they will all be agouti(brownish wild color).

Do you have the babies in the bar cage? Babies are very mobile at a young age(I have had some run in the wheels before their eyes open) and they can easily slip out of bar cages. Aquariums and sterlite bins(with mesh lids) are what I use for my litters.
Back to top Go down
Miss Nikki
Administrator
Administrator
Miss Nikki

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is Emily a male or female ??   Is Emily a male or female ?? EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 1:38 pm

Thanks for the advice and thoughts Pharfly Smile

The babies are in a bar cage with mum now but they do not come out of their plastic club house - so far.

The two adults were in the same cage before the babies were born, so that is why we thought perhaps Emily is the one who got Gerty pregnant.

So far everyone has told me Emily looks to be female though.

Hmm ...
Back to top Go down
Pharfly
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
Pharfly

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is Emily a male or female ??   Is Emily a male or female ?? EmptySat Mar 22, 2008 12:07 am

Looking at the pics of the litter they are not wild mix. They are 100% domesticated. You will know if Emily/ben is the dad when the belly fur comes in. He/she is a broken(that's the white part) black tan. Tan is a dominate gene and 50%-100%(depending if he has 1 or both tan genes) will have tan bellies if he's the dad(but then she could have mated with a tan at the petshop too). Your Girl Gerty is a ressesive yellow, you might not get any yellow's in the litter unless the Dad carries it. It looks like you have a varity of color in your litter! I cant wait for fur and If I was closer I would adopt some!!!
Back to top Go down
Miss Nikki
Administrator
Administrator
Miss Nikki

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is Emily a male or female ??   Is Emily a male or female ?? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 5:07 am

Well so far everyone @ the fun mouse and my other mouse forums tells me she is female ...

Here is another pic just to be sure.

Is Emily a male or female ?? March08037
Back to top Go down
PSC
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
PSC

Male
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Is Emily a male or female ??   Is Emily a male or female ?? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 9:09 am

yeah i would have to agree thats she is a female.
Back to top Go down
Pharfly
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
Pharfly

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is Emily a male or female ??   Is Emily a male or female ?? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 10:59 am

Yes 100% female to me too. Finally a petshop that can accually sex mice lol! had chinchilla's until my hubby developed allergies to them and petland was 100% sure that my first rescue(from my hubbys pet killing step-brother) was a girl. Then one day while out playing I noticed my female chin has testicals...
Back to top Go down
Miss Nikki
Administrator
Administrator
Miss Nikki

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is Emily a male or female ??   Is Emily a male or female ?? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 12:23 pm

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
Miss Nikki
Administrator
Administrator
Miss Nikki

Female

PostSubject: Re: Is Emily a male or female ??   Is Emily a male or female ?? EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 1:52 pm

Well, I ended up getting a great look @ Emily today. In fact it's the best view I've had of her under-side since I got her. And the verdict is - SHE HAS LOTSA NIPPLES! So she is definitley female. Yahooo!!

That means Gerty got preggers by a one night stand with a naughty Agouti at her old digs. Aww!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Emily a male or female ??   Is Emily a male or female ?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is Emily a male or female ??
Page 1 of 1