Canadian Pet Mouse Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Pet Mouse Forum

A great place to learn more and chat about your beloved pet mice! All mouse owners and enthusiasts are welcome!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

housing pregnant females

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
PSC
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
PSC

Male
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-03-22

housing pregnant females Empty
PostSubject: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 4:17 am

i cant find any information anywhere that will tell me whether or not its ok to keep 2 pregnant females in the same cage together. can anyone help me out?
Back to top Go down
Miss Nikki
Administrator
Administrator
Miss Nikki

Female
Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 12:24 pm

I've heard some successful stories of pregnant females being housed together. If they are very close to eachother, they may help eachother raise the babies.

However, I am not an expert on this. This is just what I have heard.
Back to top Go down
PSC
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
PSC

Male

PostSubject: Re: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 8:53 pm

ok thank you, i'm hoping for the best!
Back to top Go down
Pharfly
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
Pharfly

Female
Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 6:18 am

I don't put pregnate females together. If the litters are born at the same time then there will be no problems. If the litters are a day or more apart the new litter will be smaller then the other litter. The Mom may think something is wrong with her litter and do away with them. I believe it's too risky too keep them together.
I only breed 1 litter at a time, I won't be breeding for a while now. Maybe this summer, if the siamese babies are good and healthy and I can find the right boy.
Back to top Go down
PSC
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
PSC

Male

PostSubject: Re: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 6:07 am

well i just came home from my trip and i found a BUNCH of new little babies (i think they may have been born last night). both females had their litters in the same place which it really great and both are looking after them wonderfully!
Back to top Go down
Pharfly
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
Pharfly

Female

PostSubject: Re: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 10:29 am

Congrtas!!!! Try your hardest not to disturb them until they are 3 days old. when they are 3 days old you can hold them, only if you remove the Mom's 1st. I put my Mom's in my play cage, then wash my hands, rub them in the bedding and take the babies out. Make sure to hold them in groups untill the fur grows in too keep them warm. I don't know how you feel about culling(feel free to send me a pm if you want to know the only humane way), this is the time I do it(I cull the litters down to 6-8, then in a week to 4-6). I remove the runts and most of the boys. I have read a study done from labs that a female mouse can only make enought milk for 4-6 babies. Males are greedier and take more milk. I have noticed a huge improvement in the health, growth rate and longevity of smaller litters. My last litter of 9 half the babies have died, while the litter I culled is still alive and going strong. I know it seems cruel, in the wild only a few babies would normaly survive, in our controled environment they aren't exposed to the dangers.
Back to top Go down
PSC
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
PSC

Male

PostSubject: Re: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 9:18 pm

i completely agree with you, i think i will be taking the litter down a little since there is a TON of little wiggly pink bodies... and i simply dont have the room for them.. Sad
Back to top Go down
Pharfly
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
Pharfly

Female

PostSubject: Re: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 4:37 am

I know it seems sad, but it really is the best for the litter. I can'twait to see pics when they grow! It is really amazing how fast they grow and develop!
Back to top Go down
PSC
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
PSC

Male

PostSubject: Re: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 8:54 am

i just counted the litter and there is 13 babies! i think thats ok for 2 mommies. though i may cull the runts.. im not sure yet.. some of the babies are already showing darker skin, i cant wait for the fur to come in!!
Back to top Go down
Pharfly
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
Pharfly

Female

PostSubject: Re: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 10:56 am

Wow 13 is a great! I know people who have had litters of 25 Shocked
The smallest litter I had was 4 and the largest was 11. When they grow in the fur I'm always so anxious to see what color they will be!

What colors are the Moms? If they are a dominate color you can guess at least part of the liters!
Back to top Go down
PSC
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
PSC

Male

PostSubject: Re: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 9:18 pm

one of the moms is a broken agouti and the other im not exactly sure, she's like a dark cream colour.
Back to top Go down
Pharfly
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
Pharfly

Female

PostSubject: Re: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 4:46 am

Is she the one in your picture? That one looks like a resseive yellow(ry). Unless the Dad carries the ry none of the babies will be ry(you can't guess what the colors will be without knowing what they both carry).
1/2(if she has 1 gene A/a) or all(if she's got bot A/A) of the agouti's babies will be agouti, since it is dominate. Broken is also ressesive, if the Dad is also broken then all of her babies will be broken, if he carries the gene than 1/2 will be broken.
Do they all have dark eyes? Pink eyes dilute's the colors, like a pink eyed agouti(argente) is yellow with a blue under coat.
Back to top Go down
PSC
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
PSC

Male

PostSubject: Re: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 9:04 pm

the mouse in the picture is dad. he's also broken too so im thinking most should be broken. as far as i can tell they are all dark eyed. i'll try to get pictures in a few days when the fur starts to come in.
Back to top Go down
PSC
Wild Field Mouse
Wild Field Mouse
PSC

Male

PostSubject: Re: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 11:11 pm

the babies are now 6 days old and their colours are starting to show nicely! i will try to get some pictures later today.
Back to top Go down
Miss Nikki
Administrator
Administrator
Miss Nikki

Female
Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 2:06 pm

I'm so excited to see those pics!
Should be great!
Congrats again Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: housing pregnant females   housing pregnant females Empty

Back to top Go down

housing pregnant females
Page 1 of 1